SHOT dead: Marcus Noel

Tools

Teenager shot dead by police

Relatives: He was not a bad boy

 Nineteen-year-old Marcus Noel was facing the police when he was shot on Sunday afternoon along Charlotte Street, Port of Spain.

This was revealed by forensic pathologist Dr Valerie Alexandrov yesterday in an interview with Express.

Alexandrov explained that the bullet entered the lower corner of Noel’s left eye, before exiting through the back of his skull, meaning that at the time of death he was facing his shooter. 

According to police reports, at about 5.25 p.m. on Sunday, a party of officers from the Central Police Station were on mobile patrol in the capital city when, upon reaching the vicinity of Park Street and Charlotte Street, they observed a group of men running away from the Xing Supermarket. 

The officers then observed another group of men chasing after the first group, and these men were screaming “robbery!” and “thieves”.

The officers exited their vehicles and gave chase, following the men northward along Charlotte Street. 

However, upon noticing the police, two of the men reportedly pulled out firearms and began shooting at the officers, police said.

The lawmen returned fire. 

Noel was hit once in his face he fell to the ground in a pool of blood. He was killed instantly.

On seeing the dead teenager on the ground, the three other men reportedly surrendered and were detained by the policemen. 

Two firearms and a quantity of ammunition were seized from the scene.

The three suspects including a 19-year-old from East Dry River, a 25-year-old from Lady Young Road, and a 35-year-old from Rose Hill, were taken to the Central Police Station where they were questioned. 

ASP Samaroo is continuing inquiries. 

At the Forensic Science Centre in St James yesterday, Noel’s relatives described him as a loving father, who did everything in his power to provide for his two young children. 

They also said that as far as they were aware, Noel had gone to Park Street to use the ATM and not to conduct a robbery. They said it was possible that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

They also said the teenager was not a “bad boy” but he did have several enemies because of where he lived. 

This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

Express Poll

Should there be police investigations into the killing of Ricardo Mohammed and the three men in Laventille last week?

  • Yes
  • No

Weather

More Weather