Monday, January 22, 2018

Teenager found dead off Lady Young


MISSING 5 DAYS: Kishorn Quashie

(BI) Feedloader User

THE partially-decomposed body of a 17-year-old boy who had been missing for the last five days was found approximately 100 metres down a precipice off Lady Young Road, Morvant, yesterday morning.

The victim was Kishorn Quashie, who lived with his relatives at Corbin Trace, St Barbs Road, Laventille. There were no visible marks of violence on the body.

The police said Quashie's parents reported him missing on Saturday at Besson Street Police Station in Port of Spain. They said they carried out a search but to no avail.

Quashie's parents, his father Shawn Quashie and mother Keturah Barker, began calling on their neighbours for assistance in finding the boy and Akeila Carter, a Community-based Environmental Protection and Enhancement Programme (CEPEP) forewoman, responded to the call.

Around 7 a.m. yesterday, a total of 60 workers along with 40 other men and women from Quashie's neighbourhood began combing the hills of Laventille.

The search party continued into Morvant and about a half-mile from the Lady Young Road lookout (heading into Port of Spain), someone spotted a burgundy-coloured sheet with which Quashie's body had been wrapped.

Carter, who spoke to the Express, said: "We just could not sit down and wait for the police to find him, because me and the Quashie family are friends, so I decided let's do something."

The CEPEP employees called Quashie's parents and the police and a team of officers, along with Insp Eric Parks of the Homicide Bureau, arrived on the scene.

His father did not want to say anything, but his mother said she made reports about his disappearance to the police but they did nothing.

"He's a quiet, respectful and loving boy. He don't have no warrants, the police never put they hand on him, nothing like that at all," said Baker.

She said he was being trained as a mechanic in the SERVOL programme and when he turned 18 on May 25 next year who would have applied to the Trinidad and Tobago Regiment.

"He had an uncle in the army and he really looked up to him and wanted to be just like him."

Homicide Bureau officers are continuing investigations.