Thursday, January 18, 2018

Thanks for 'messing up' our family

Uncle has words for pathologist Daisley


FINAL MARCH: Soldiers carry the coffin of Lance Corporal Curtis Marshall outside Church of Christ in San Juan yesterday following the funeral service. —Photo: JERMAINE CRUICKSHANK

(BI) Feedloader User

JEFFREY Marshall, uncle of Curtis Marshall, yesterday publicly thanked forensic pathologist Dr Hubert Daisley for "messing up" his family.

Jeffrey made the statement during the funeral service for his nephew, which was held at Church of Christ on Ryan Street in San Juan.

Two Saturdays ago, Marshall, 31, was found lying in an unconscious state in the vicinity of the clothing and equipment stores at Defence Force Headquarters in Chaguaramas.

He was rushed to the Community Hospital of Seventh-Day Adventists in Cocorite, where he was pronounced dead less than two hours later.

An autopsy was performed at the Forensic Science Centre in Federation Park by Eslyn McDonald-Burris on December 31.

The results of that autopsy concluded that Marshall was strangled.

On the following day, January 1, preliminary results of a second autopsy conducted by Daisley at Simpson's Memorial Funeral Chapel in Laventille confirmed the results of the first autopsy.

Daisley had also stated Marshall was dealt several blows to the back of the head.

But last Friday, Daisley conducted further tests on Marshall's body and came to the conclusion that the soldier was not murdered but may have died as a result of an asthma attack.

Jeffrey said he was among the family members who visited Simpson's Memorial Funeral Chapel in Laventille when Daisley started his autopsy.

They waited three hours there that day before they got the preliminary results.

Jeffrey said he was also there on Friday when Daisley came with an "entirely different story" as to the cause of Marshall's death.

"And for that I want to give Daisley a special thank you because he messed up the family."

Jeffrey was not originally scheduled to speak at Marshall's service, according to the programme.

However, he opted to give a vote of thanks.

Three eulogies were performed for Marshall.

The first was done by Raymond Elias, who is a member of Church of Christ where Marshall worshipped with his wife Ashlyn John-Marshall and daughter Curtlyn.

Marshall loved God, his family and the military, Elias said, and with his death he managed to bring them all together.

Elias mentioned a situation where Marshall was able to console a young woman and stop her from committing suicide.

Lieutenant A Ferguson, Detachment Commander of Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force (TTDF), delivered the second eulogy.

Ferguson described Marshall as a "training instructor's dream" because of his physical ability.

David Best, Marshall's childhood friend, delivered the third eulogy.

Mahase Bissoondath delivered the homily.

John-Marshall sat in the front row of the church along with other family members as they celebrated Marshall's life.

On the opposite side of the aisle, Chief of Defence Staff Brigadier Kenrick Maharaj, Commanding Officer of the Trinidad and Tobago Regiment Colonel Anthony Phillips-Spencer and Deputy Police Commissioner Mervyn Richardson were seated.