THERE have been three confirmed dengue deaths and six suspected dengue deaths in Trinidad and Tobago since January of last year.
This is according to information from the San Fernando General Hospital which showed that the three confirmed deaths included a 14-year-old who died during the period July to September last year, a 61-year-old individual between January and March this year, and 59-year-old Haniff Ali who died this month. All patients were male.
Ali, of Calcutta No 1, Freeport, died on August 21 and the hospital confirmed his death was as the result of dengue haemorrhagic fever with massive upper gastrointestinal bleeding, shock and post cardiac arrest.
Spraying in the area began shortly after his death.
The county with the most number of deaths was the Victoria district, followed by St Patrick and Caroni.
Of the nine persons who died within the periods, three were teenagers, one was 13, two 14-year-olds and one female. The oldest patient was 61.
Public Health Inspector III with the San Fernando City Corporation, Alexander Ramnath, said the city ensured all necessary precautions were being undertaken to prevent the breeding of the carrier of the dengue fever—the aedes egypti mosquito.
He said all schools were already sprayed before the new term begins next week.
The Insect Vector Control department of the Ministry of Health is responsible for the areas outside the city, he said.