Sunday, February 25, 2018

Three get $.29m bail for attempted murder

sangre grande

Three men, including two teenagers, were yesterday granted cumulative bail of $290,000 after they appeared before a Sangre Grande magistrate on charges of attempted murder, kidnapping and robbery with violence.

The trio — 22-year-old Jeremy Joseph and two 17-year-olds — all appeared before Magistrate Ejenny Espinet in the Sangre Grande Magistrates’ First Court.

Due to the ages of the teenagers, their names have to be withheld from the public.

They were both represented by defence attorney Fareed Ali, while Joseph was represented by attorney Jai Narine.

The charges arose from an incident which occurred on July 5, when a 30-year-old taxi driver was allegedly robbed, planassed and chopped with a cutlass, before he was kidnapped.

The victim was subsequently released.

The three men had originally appeared before Espinet on July 11, however, the matter had to be recalled on two separate occasions as there were delays in bringing background tracings on all three accused to court.

At yesterday’s hearing, Espinet confirmed bail for all three men, to be approved by a clerk of the peace.

Joseph was granted bail at $100,000, while the teenagers were granted bail at $100,000 and $90,000.

The matter is expected to resume on July 30.

The charges were laid by Police Constable Larry McQueen of Sangre Grande CID.

The three were arrested following a report by a taxi driver of Vega de Oropouche. The taxi driver was found on a river bank by farmers in Charuma Forest, Biche.

According to police reports, three men boarded the victim’s taxi at about 7 p.m. on July 5 and agreed to pay for the trip. The driver took off from Vega de Oropouche taxi stand in Sangre Grande and was ordered to proceed to Cunapo, Southern Main Road.

They subsequently tied him up and later threw him off a precipice in the Charuma forest. The farmers telephoned the police, who responded from Sangre Grande Police Station.

The victim was taken to Sangre Grande District Hospital, where he received medical attention and was discharged.

Investigations were conducted by Snr Supt Sacenarine Mahabir, Cpls Nicholas Vialva and Randy Castillo, PCs Larry Mc Queen, Joel Boodoosingh and Anwar Khan, among others, and led to the arrests of the three accused.