A 17-YEAR-OLD girl is dead and her boyfriend is warded in a critical condition at hospital up to yesterday evening after they both ingested a poisonous substance on Thursday afternoon.
Police said they believe that the teenagers may have consumed the substance after their relationship was met with objections from relatives.
The girl has been identified as Shilpa Leo, of Jackson Street, Curepe, while the boy, Kaydeen Rampersad, who is also 17 years old, lives at Huggins Street, Tacarigua.
They were both pupils at El Dorado North Secondary School, said police.
Investigators said at around 3.15 p.m., Rampersad's relatives heard a scream coming from a room located along the northern side of his home.
Upon entering the room, police said the boy's relatives found him and the girl lying on the ground, with both of them frothing from the mouth.
Rampersad, police said, also had a cut to one of his wrists.
The boy's relatives immediately contacted Emergency Health Services (EHS) and officers of Arouca Police Station, who arrived on the scene shortly after.
They were both taken to Arima Health Facility via ambulance where Leo was pronounced dead while undergoing treatment.
Rampersad was eventually transferred to Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex in Mt Hope, where he remained up to yesterday evening.
Officers of the Arouca station are continuing investigations.