Tools

Tuesday sentencing for British sex pervert

By Rickie Ramdass rickie.ramdass@trinidadexpress.com

THE 67-YEAR-OLD British man who pleaded guilty three weeks ago to performing oral sex on a ten-year-old boy will know his fate on Tuesday.

Magistrate Maureen Baboolal-Gafoor remanded Derek Ide back into custody following the delivery of a mitigation plea by his attorney, Sean Cazabon.

Ide, a former school teacher in Southampton, England, pleaded guilty to the charge of serious indecency against the boy.

The offence took place on April 28 in Chaguaramas.

In his mitigation plea, Cazabon said his client was initially charged with grievous sexual assault and was not called upon to plead as the charge was laid indictably. When the charge was amended last month, he entered a guilty plea.

Cazabon said, with his client entering a guilty plea on the first opportunity he received, it goes to show he was remorseful for committing the act.

“The guilty plea saves valuable judicial time, it shows that he is remorseful and it saves the boy from the trauma of having to give evidence in the matter,” he said.

Cazabon further stated the act, although it was illegal, was not as serious as other sexual offences committed against children. 

The attorney said the boy told police that Ide had performed oral sex on him for five or ten seconds, adding that even though Ide had a previous conviction in England for another offence against a young boy—which resulted in him losing his teaching job—it should not be taken into consideration as the incident had taken place in 1983.

He said Ide had been in prison for seven-and-a-half months since being arrested, telling the court this length of time was sufficient for the crime committed.

Ide, he said, understood the seriousness of the offence and was willing to undergo therapy when he is deported back to England.

He was also willing to be tagged and monitored by police, Cazabon said.

In response, State attorney George Busby said the offence should not be looked at as being one of a simple nature.

He said for the past few years there was a prevalence of sexual offences being committed against children and it was the duty of the court to send a message that these offences will not be condoned.

This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

Express Poll

Are you experiencing the benefits of the $1 billion worth in water projects since 2010?

  • Yes
  • No

Newsletter Sign Up

Subscribe to our FREE Digital Divide Newsletter.
To subscribe enter your email address
For Email Marketing you can trust

Weather

More Weather