Friday, February 23, 2018

Two gunned down Laventille, Malabar


(BI) Feedloader User


dead on the scene: Crime scene detectives view the body of Jeremy James, 22, after he was shot and killed in Malabar yesterday afternoon. —Photos: MICHEAL BRUCE

(BI) Feedloader User

TWO men were gunned down in separate incidents in the Laventille and Malabar areas yesterday.

The deaths of Cheston Daniel Joseph, 26, and 22-year-old Jeremy James have taken the murder toll for the year so far to six.

Joseph died at Port of Spain General Hospital yesterday afternoon after he was shot multiple times about the body a short distance from his Mulrein Trace, Picton home.

Investigators said around 11.30 a.m., Joseph was approached by a lone gunman who opened fire, hitting him several times about the body.

Officers said residents in the area heard the shots and later found Joseph, who was still alive, lying at the side of a house. He was rushed to hospital but was pronounced dead a short while later.

In the second incident, police said around 3 p.m., James, a "PH" taxi driver from Acbarali Trace, Malabar, was driving his white Nissan B-13 south along a road close to Larry Gomes Stadium, Malabar when two men opened fire on him.

James, police said, was shot to the side of the head but continued driving in an attempt to escape his attackers.

He lost control of the car, crashed into and broke through the chain-link fence surrounding part of the stadium before coming to a stop inside. He was pronounced dead on the scene.

Homicide detectives and officers from Arouca Police Station, including Snr Supt David Abraham, ASP Worrel and Insps Baptiste and Jagmohan, visited the scene and carried out enquiries. Officers said they have not established a clear motive for the killing.

Meanwhile, officers from Sangre Grande Criminal Investigations Department (CID) found what is believed to be the skeletal remains of a man who was reported missing since last February.

Police said the discovery was made following a tip-off, said police.

The remains were removed to the Forensic Science Centre, Federation Park, St James, where tests will be carried out to determine the cause of death.

Investigations into all three incidents are continuing.