THE double-murder trial of Paul Vincent is expected to resume today after a five-week break.
The case was adjourned at the end of July and Justice Mark Mohammed, who is presiding in the case before the San Fernando First Criminal Court, told the jury to return on September 3.
Vincent is charged with the murders of Pixie Lakhan and Taramatie Toolsie in 2005.
The trial started last April with the State, led by attorneys Tricia Hudlin-Cooper and Renuka Rambhajan, telling the court that 31 witnesses will be called.
So far the prosecution’s main witness, Acting Inspector Sean Dhillpaul, several police officers, who were involved in the murder investigation, and family members of both Lakhan and Toolsie have taken the witness stand.
Dhillpaul testified that Vincent gave a confession statement and also led the police to the women’s remains.
Vincent, 32, of Siparia, is being represented by attorney Rekha Ramjit, instructed by attorney Michael Rooplal.
The defence is claiming that Vincent was set up by the police who had all the information needed to write a statement that they made him sign. The defence is also claiming that the police knew of the location of the bodies and took Vincent to the two areas.
Lakhan’s remains were found on April 22, 2005 near her Spring Trace, Siparia home, a month after she went missing.
Toolsie’s decomposing body was found covered with bags and tyres on April 18, 2005. Three days earlier, she was seen headed to work.
Mohammed has told the jurors that the case should come to an end in mid-October.