Tools

Vindra Trial Resumes - "Miss Seetahal will no longer be joining us"

By RICKIE RAMDASS rickie.ramdass@trinidadexpress.com

THE Vindra Naipaul-Coolman murder trial resumed today, after the State indicated it was ready to proceed after a week's break, due to the murder, eight days ago, of its prosecutor, senior counsel Dana Seetahal.

When the trial was called last week Monday, State attorney Joy Balkahan broke down and cried, saying : "Miss Seetahal is no longer with us".

Presiding Justice Malcolm Holdip, sitting in the Hall of Justice, Port of Spain, decided it would be too difficult to immediately continue and adjourned the trial to today, when the 12 murder accused returned to the courtroom, where they are on trial for the kidnapping and murder of businessman Vindra Naipaul-Coolman in December 2006.

When the prosecution was ask about its attorneys, Balkaran
rose and said "Miss Seetahal will no longer be joining us because she was murdered on May 4, 2014".

The judge then asked if the prosecution was ready to continue, and senior counsel Gilbert Peterson, who is also a member of the prosecution team, said the State was ready to proceed.

The State has since called a police officer who was attached to the
fingerprint unit of the Chaguanas CID at the time of Naipaul-Coolman's kidnapping. The trial is expected to continue into the afternoon.
This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

Express Poll

Should the State move to stop Dr Wayne Kublalsingh from going on another hunger strike?

  • Yes
  • No

Weather

More Weather