Gerard Weekes improved on his second place finish last year to be crowned 2013 King of Carnival at the Queen's Park Savannah in Port of Spain on Friday.
Weekes portrayal, "Ai To Yujo No Yorokobi" (The Joy Of Friendship) from Brian Mac Farlane's 2013 presentation Joy: The Finale, amassed 438 points.
However, he had to share the spotlight with Ted Eustace who earned the same amount of points for his portrayal "Moko In Flames."
Eustace made up considerable ground after being 19 points adrift of the front-running Weekes at the semifinal round of the competition.
Ronald Blaize's "De Agony Of Human Bondage" from the presentation Brazil, Brazil by Legacy, took third with 421 points.
Mac Farlane, who plans to quit the mas arena after Carnival, had more reasons to celebrate as his production "Rakuen No Yorokobi" (The Joy Of Paradise) earned Charrisse Bovell her second successive Queen of Carnival title.
Bovell collected 429 points to finish ahead of Liselle Frauenfelder portrayal "Dania Wantam - The Dance Of Reconciliation" (413) and Kay Mason's "From Darkness To Light" (406).
King of Carnival
1. Gerard Weekes - Ai To Yujo No Yorokobi (The Joy Of Friendship) - 438 pts
1. Ted Eustace - Moko In Flames - 438
3. Ronald Blaize - De Agony Of Human Bondage - 421
4. Glenn Turnbull - Kinyan-Rise Of D Thunderbird - 409
5. Roland St George - Rising Of The Ancestors - 404
Queen of Carnival
1. Charrisse Bovell - Rakuen No Yorokobi (The Joy Of Paradise - 429
2. Liselle Frauenfelder - Dania Wantam - The Dance Of Reconciliation - 413
3. Kay Mason - From Darkness To Light -406
4. Gloria Dallsingh - Hera's Sacred Bird - 390
5. Charmaine Enile - Symphony In G, The Heavenly Mix - 384