A woman is calling on the Commissioner of Police (CoP) to investigate the use of her identity to promote a bogus Bollywood concert featuring superstar Shahrukh Khan.
Crystal Mulchan, 29, in an interview at her Penal home yesterday, presented her identification card to the Express to prove her identity and make it clear she had absolutely nothing to do with the concert, which was scheduled to take place on April 13 at Hilton Trinidad, at $2,500 a ticket.
Mulchan claims a woman whom she knows used her name to promote the show and also used a cellphone which she (Mulchan) bought for her last year as the contact number for alleged bogus business transactions.
Mulchan contacted the Express after reading an article which stated that the Bollywood stars were in the dark about the concert and the show's promoter, "Crystal Mulchan", maintained that the show was not bogus.
Mulchan said her name is very rare and she wanted to make it clear that she was not the Mulchan attached to the show, as she was currently looking for a job and this would impact on her credibility.
She said when she contacted the number for "Crystal Mulchan" she was shocked to learn that it was the woman using her name and the same phone she had bought for her.
"Her name came up on my phone when I dialled the number," said Mulchan.
She said the woman apologised for using her name and promised that she would publish a disclaimer saying that Mulchan was not responsible for the Bollywood show, which to date was never done.
A tearful Mulchan told the Express that she did not know how to deal with this issue.
She said she is considering legal redress, as she does not know the extent to which her identity was fraudulently used.
On February 25, the concert—Mohabbat 2013, presented by Elite Entertainment Ltd—was advertised in the Express.
According to the ad, the concert would also have featured Bollywood playback singers Udit Narayan and Asha Bhosle, as well as guest appearances by actresses Bipasha Basu and Rani Mukherji, backed by a 30-piece orchestra from India.
The $2,500 ticket was inclusive of dinner, unlimited access to a fully-stocked premium alcohol bar, dessert bar, hors d'oeuvres and all-night beverage stations offering a delectable variety of international coffees and teas.
The Express had contacted Khan's publicist, Mandvi Sharma, who said the superstar had no contract to come to Trinidad and Tobago.
"This is with regards to your e-mail to Cineyug events team today. Mr Shahrukh Khan is not performing in Trinidad on 13th April. It is false news," stated Sharma in an e-mail to the Express.
Basu's manager, Bunty Bahl, owner of Carving Dreams, a talent agency and entertainment company based in Mumbai, India, also confirmed the star had no contract to perform in Trinidad.
When the Express questioned the bogus "Crystal Mulchan" on the telephone and told her this information, she insisted the concert was on, saying fees were wired to Khan.
"Crystal Mulchan" had provided elaborate details of the concert to the Express, saying it would cater for 950 people and Khan was scheduled to arrive here on April 8.
Last week, JD Gahatraj, Narayan's business manager, in an e-mail, stated: "Once again, I want to confirm that I am coming for only one show at Trinidad on 4th May, 2013. Any other show being advertised is without my consent and permission and are false, I am not responsible for such false advertisements."
Narayan will be performing at the Centre of Excellence, Macoya, together with Alka Yagnik at a concert hosted by Radio 90.5 FM.
The $2,500 tickets for Mohabbat 2013 were advertised to be sold at See Vu optical outlets.
However, Prem Sookdeo, managing director of See Vu, told the Express his company has removed itself from any association with the concert and is no longer a ticket venue.
He said he never actually saw "Crystal Mulchan" face to face and tickets were dropped off at his branches.
Sookdeo said tickets were sold, as people called and made bookings, but that money was refunded.
Since the real Crystal Mulchan informed the woman that she was aware of her scheme, the phone for "Crystal Mulchan" and her private number have been switched off.