Former minister in the Ministry of National Security Collin Partap reported that he has spoken to lawyers following his detention by police last month and has been assured there is "nothing to worry about" regarding him being charged.
He spoke to the media on the issue following yesterday's launch of the On-the-Job Training Agriculture programme at the Sangre Grande Regional Corporation.
Questioned if he was concerned he would still be charged, Partap said: "Charged? For what? I have no problem in being charged, but what are they going to charge me for? Refusal (to take a breathalyser test)? I never refused."
On whether he sought legal advice, Partap joked he was a lawyer, "but I haven't sought my own counsel" and repeated the old adage, "a lawyer who represents himself is a fool".
He reported that he has spoken with a couple of lawyers, "and they have assured me that there is nothing to be worried about".
On August 26, Partap was taken by police to the Belmont Police Station after he was allegedly found in his vehicle with a bottle of alcohol in his hand and allegedly refused to take a breathalyser test.
Police officers claimed Partap continued to refuse to take the breathalyser test and only submitted following a visit by acting Commissioner of Police Stephen Williams, whom he had telephoned.
Partap was relieved of his ministerial portfolio by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar following the incident.
Senior Counsel Dana Seetahal previously told the Express if the reports were true, Partap would be in breach for declining to submit to the test and could still be charged up to six months after the incident.
He broke his silence on the issue at a news conference at his constituency office on Tuesday, claiming he never declined to take a breathalyser test, there was no bottle of alcohol in the vehicle and he only telephoned Williams due to the officers' behaviour.
Williams has reported that a file on the incident has not yet been submitted to Director of Public Prosecutions Roger Gaspard.
Asked yesterday how he was mentally holding up, Partap, MP for Cumuto/Manzanilla, responded: "I'm okay, I'm okay. It's good to be back among my constituents and back in my constituency. I think that's therapy in itself."
During his remarks at the event, he took the opportunity to thank his constituents for their support following his detention by police.
"The people of Cumuto/Manzanilla, I once again would like to thank you for all the support that I have received over the last week and a half," he said.
He also apologised for his late arrival, an hour and 15 minutes late to the event which had started about 45 minutes late. He explained there was heavy traffic from San Fernando due to an accident, and referenced one of the changes with losing his ministerial portfolio.
"You know without the luxury of the police anymore I usually have to be a lot earlier to get to these events," he said.
He also noted that he will now have "a lot more time" to implement agriculture projects in his constituency, including fish farming in Plum Mitan and rice farming.