There was no celebration at the Harrys' house in Marabella on New Years Day.
The family spent the day cleaning debris from their home which was destroyed by fire on Sunday.
The five-apartment building at Battoo Avenue, Marabella, housed ten people. The occupants lost everything they owned in the blaze.
Three members of the Harry family lived at the house.
Eirnil Harry said he believed a lit incense stick was the cause of the fire that began around 2.30 p.m. His sister, Maurissa Harry, 35, said the loss brought the family closer.
"Normally on New Year's Day, because everyone is grown, everybody would have been doing their own thing and the family would not really be together. But because this happened everybody came to lend support and they spent the day cleaning up the yard and fixing a water line that needed to be repaired."
The mother of a ten-month-old baby girl said the family's main focus for this year would be rebuilding the house, which was valued at approximately $2 million.
Harry said: "We were all very glad to be alive. We were all home when that happened and if the neighbour did not come out and start to make a commotion, the situation could have been more tragic. We are just trying to put the pieces of our lives back together and see if we can start the rebuilding process...that is the major problem."
The family received a lot of support from the public and was visited by officials from the Ministry of the People and Social Development on New Year's Day, she said.
Anyone willing to assist the family can call 491-5722.