...Highway report fails to appear on JCC's website
THE report done by the Independent Working Group, appointed by the Joint Consultative Council's (JCC), on the disputed Debe-to-Mon Desir segment of the Solomon Hochoy Highway extension to Point Fortin was supposed to have been published on the JCC's website last Friday.
This was not done up to last night when the Sunday Express checked the website.
Attempts to contact president of the JCC Afra Raymond on the delay in the posting of the report were unsuc- cessful as calls to him went unanswered.
The report was handed over to the Government last week, two months after the working group undertook the examination of the Government's and the Highway Re-Route Movement's positions on the construction of the highway extension.
At a post-Cabinet news briefing last Thursday, Minister of Works Emmanuel George, who broke an embargo placed on the report, told the media the report had given the Government the green light to continue with the construction of the highway since its only reprimand was Government's poor approach to civil society in carrying out the project.
However, the report, obtained by the Express, advises that if Government decides to proceed with the project that major shortcomings in the assessment of the social, environmental and economic impact of the project must first be resolved.
George also broke an embargo imposed by the JCC that the report or its details were not to be released until noon last Friday when it was said the report would be published on the JCC's website.
Several attempts to contact George yesterday for further comment on the issue also proved futile as his phone also went unanswered.
• The report is
available online at