Super League on hold
The FIFA World Cup now taking place in Brazil may result in a postponement of the semi-professional National Super League football competition. Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) general secretary Sheldon Phillips confirmed a possible delay to the start of the Super League, with most of the world including Trinidad and Tobago firmly focused on international football taking place in Brazil.
“We are actually getting ready to have a meeting later on (today) to discuss the start date,” said Phillips Friday. “Obviously with the World Cup, there has been some discussion about delaying the start of the Super League until after the World Cup. The question is exactly what date that is going to be. So, we are going to have to iron that out in the next day or two.”
For the first time, the TTFA will run the Super League, after long-time administrators All Sport Promotion voluntarily relinquished control of the competition. “We have 16 team slated to compete. That is, 16 slots and commitments,” said Phillips, adding, “The teams from last year and the ones (La Horquetta SA and Palo Seco) that came up from the Champions of Champions. But, we are still finalising the entries.”
The Super League, the second tier of football in Trinidad and Tobago, began in 2002 and has been exclusively run by Anthony Hartford’s All Sport Promotions company, which relinquished the competition to the TTFA at the end of last season due to increasing financial difficulties, arising out of a dispute with the Ministry of Sport two years ago.