Trinidad and Tobago’s (T&T) veteran road cyclist Emile Abraham climbed to the top of the leaderboard of the 2013 Tour of T&T Independence Classic with a workmanlike victory in Thursday’s third stage in Point Fortin.
Titled the Pace and Gas Circuit Race, the stage was contested over a time/distance combination of one hour and two laps along a route that took riders from its start/finish point at Frisco Junction through Chin Kit Park and along Adventura Road.
In the early stages, Abraham, riding for Team Predator Carbon Repair, was content to sit in the middle of the peloton, but as the tempo increased, he joined a group of 14 riders that separated themselves from the rest of the field.
And in a bunch sprint to the finish, he would prevail ahead of Guyana’s Geron Williams of Team Foundation and T&T’s Gevan Samuel, also riding for Team Predator.
Abraham’s win saw him add 15 points to the eight he collected for his fifth place finish In Wednesday’s second stage. He now leads with 23 points, one ahead of Willams, who has a second and third place finish to his credit and Jason Perryman of Barbafdos, who bagged seven points for his sixth place finish to go with the 15 he collected for his Stage Two triumph.
Abraham, who was in a similar position last year before dropping off the lead in the final two stages, said he is prepared to defend his lead the old fashion way.
“The best way to do it is to win the next stage, and that is what I intend to do.”
He had an unexpected day of rest, as last night’s fourth stage carded for the Rienzi Kirton Highway in San Fernando has been rescheduled to tomorrow (Sunday) at 7 a.m. along a new route that takes riders from the Foreshore, Audrey Jeffers Highway to the Corinth Flyover in San Fernando and back.
Action continues from 1.00 p.m. this afternoon with the Tour’s fifth stage.
This stage begins at the Brian Lara Stadium in Toruba, with riders doing three laps over a circuit that takes them through Corinth, Claxton Bay and Preysal, to end at its starting point.
Stage 3 results
1. Emile Abraham (T&T)/Team Predator Carbon Repair – 15 points
2. Geron Williams (GUY)/Team Foundation – 12 pts
3. Gevan Samuel (T&T)/Team Predator Carbon Repair – 10 pts
4. Rafael Merane (DOM)/Team Foundation – 9 pts
5. Joshua Alexander (T&T)/Team Foundation – 8 pts
1. Emile Abraham (T&T)/Team Predator Carbon Repair – 23 points
2. Geron Williams (GUY)/Team Foundation – 22 pts
3. Jason Perryman (BAR)/Heatwave – 22 pts
4. Calixto Bellp (USA)/ Team Predator Carbon Repair – 15 points
5. Adam Alexander (T&T)/Team Foundation – 13 pts