Machel Cedenio produced an impressive run on day one of the Carifta trials, at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain, yesterday.
The Simplex quartermiler stopped the clock at 46.42 seconds for a commanding victory in the boys' under-20 400 metres final. The clocking was more than two seconds faster than the 47.80 qualifying standard.
For 300 metres, Jereem Richards stayed close to Cedenio. But on the home straight, the 2012 World Junior Championship one-lap finalist poured it on, pulling away from Richards and romping to victory.
Asa Guevara secured the runner-up spot in 47.46, while Theon Lewis was third in 48.23, finishing just ahead of Richards (48.26).
John Mark Constantine shrugged off a strong 3.2 metres per second headwind to win the boys' under-20 100m final in 10.38 seconds—well inside the 10.60 standard. Second-placed Ayodele Taffe got to the line in 10.54.
A total of 20 athletes achieved qualifying standards on day one.
The list includes reigning Carifta Games boys' under-20 800m champion Mark London. He topped yesterday's 1,500m field in four minutes, 00.38 seconds.
Another 2012 Carifta gold medallist, Chelsea James won the girls' under-17 shot put with a 14.05 metres throw.
Jeminise Parris was more than a second faster than the 15.20 seconds girls' under-17 100m hurdles standard. She clocked 14.12 to finish second, trailing Barbadian Tristan Evelyn (13.89) to the line.
The trials continue from 10 a.m. today.
DAY 1 QUALIFIERS (20)
Boys’ under-20 100m (wind: -3.2) – standard 10.60
1. John Mark Constantine (Concorde) 10.38
2. Ayodele Taffe (Abilene) 10.54
Girls’ under-20 100m (wind: +0.4) – standard 11.80
1. Lisa Wickham (Concorde) 11.73
Boys’ under-20 400m – standard 47.80
1. Machel Cedenio (Simplex) 46.42
2. Asa Guevara (Abilene) 47.46
Boys’ under-20 1500m – standard 4:10.00
1. Mark London (Zenith) 4:00.38
2. Akeem Marshall (Toco Titans) 4:05.10
3. Jevon Joseph (Air Bon Sonics) 4:07.92
Girls’ under-17 100m hurdles (wind: +1.3) – standard 15.20
2. Jeminise Parris (Memphis) 14.12
Boys’ under-20 110m hurdles (wind: -2.3) – standard 14.70
1. Ruebin Walters (Memphis) 14.13
Girls’ under-17 high jump – standard 1.65m
1. Khemani Roberts (Zenith) 1.65m
2. Ayana Glasgow (Toco TAFAC) 1.65m
Boys’ under-17 long jump – standard 6.50m
1. Che Richards (Oasics) 6.98m (wind: +0.6)
2. Andwuelle Wright (unattached) 6.93m (wind: +1.9)
Boys’ under-20 triple jump – standard 14.60m
2. Akeel Edwards (Toco TAFAC) 14.72m (wind: -1.1)
Girls’ under-17 shot put – standard 12.00m
1. Chelsea James (Tobago Falcons) 14.05m
Boys’ under-20 discus – standard 46.00m
1. Micah McNish (Striders) 46.79m
Girls’ under-20 discus – standard 38.00m
1. Shaunna Downey (Burnley) 40.87m
2. Latoya Gilding (Striders) 40.67m
Girls’ under-17 javelin – standard 34.00m
1. Akidah Briggs (Toco Titans) 37.25m