The Guyana Cricket Board (GCB) will be sending a team to next year's Caribbean Twenty20 after all.
This was confirmed yesterday by GCB secretary Anand Sanasie who told the Express that the Board will have trial matches tomorrow, Friday and Saturday before a squad is selected on Monday afternoon.
Guyana's participation in the January 6-20 tournament in Trinidad and St Lucia was put in doubt when the GCB failed to submit their team list for the competition by the November 22 deadline.
When Guyana did not submit a squad, the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) directors, following a meeting in Trinidad over the weekend, directed the WICB management to make another request to the GCB to provide a Guyana team and to set a new deadline date for the team to be submitted. The new deadline is December 5.
Asked why a squad was not selected by the deadline date, Sanasie said the GCB was being cautious and seeking legal advice because of the ongoing conflict between the GCB and the Guyana government, which began in December last year when the Guyana government dissolved the GCB due to a dispute over its July 2011 elections.
Guyana's sports minister, Dr Frank Anthony appointed an Interim Management Committee (IMC), headed by ex-West Indies captain Clive Lloyd, to run cricket in Guyana. However, the WICB maintained its position that it recognises the GCB as the sole governing body responsible for the administration, management and development of cricket in Guyana.
Earlier this year, an interim injunction was granted against the GCB preventing the organisation from performing duties on behalf of the board. Sanasie said there were varying legal opinions about the court matter, and that is why they were being cautious.
He said the GCB has always sent teams to regional tournaments, regardless of what was happening with the board, and that Guyana will be taking part in the 2013 Caribbean T20.
"We were skeptical about selecting a team (with the court matter going on) so we sought legal advice about it and now we have taken a decision that we will be sending a team," said Sanasie.
"We are trying our best. We are actually putting something in place at the moment to have some trial matches on Thursday, Friday and Saturday and we are hoping to have a team selected by Monday.
"I had some consultation with Minister of Sport (Dr Frank Anthony), and we are trying to chart a way forward. We (the GCB) will definitely be sending a team, barring any further court rulings," Sanasie added.
The GCB secretary explained that the Guyana selectors, chaired by Reon Griffith, will be putting together a Select XI for the trial matches. The three counties will also be represented.
Sanasie said there will be two matches each day featuring the four teams, followed by fitness tests on Sunday and Monday. The final squad will be selected on Monday afternoon.