Tools

Holder regrets failure to force draw

 Test debutant Jason Holder has bemoaned his failure to lead West Indies to a draw against New Zealand in the third and deciding match which ended in victory for the visitors on Monday.

The towering Barbadian pacer, batting at number seven, played out two hours on the final day while also seeing off a shot-ball barrage as West Indies battled to save the game.

Set a challenging 308 for victory at the start of a rain-hit final day, the hosts lost wickets steadily and were dismissed for 254 allowing the Black Caps to take the series two-one.

‘My goal was just to take the team to the end, whether it was a win or a draw. I thought I played really well, but unfortunately got out at the last stage,” Holder said.

“After coming in, the situation of the game, I knew there was a lot of work to be done”.

Windies plunged to 144 for seven, 25 minutes before tea but Holder stroked a top score of 52 from 79 balls in two hours, and included three fours and six.

He inspired a stand of 77 for the eighth wicket with Shane Shillingford, 30 not out, which frustrated the Black Caps.

“Needed to build a partnership to start and to wear down the New Zealand bowlers as much as possible, frustrate them as much as possible,” said Holder.

“I came in with [the last recognised batsman] Darren Bravo there and we tried to build a partnership, unfortunately Darren got out.”

He said playing his first test match has given him the confidence that he could perform at the highest level.

This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

Express Poll

Should there be police investigations into the killing of Ricardo Mohammed and the three men in Laventille last week?

  • Yes
  • No

Weather

More Weather