Defending World 100 metres champion Yohan Blake has been forced to withdraw from next month’s IAAF World Championships in Moscow due to a nagging hamstring injury.
Agent Cubie Seegobin says that although Blake has made “vast improvement” since injuring the leg in April, he needs more time to fully recover.
“This decision was made after continual assessment and re-evaluations since his withdrawal from the Jamaican Senior Championships,” Seegobin said in an interview with skysports.com.
“Yohan has made vast improvement, although the injury sustained in April of this year has prevented him from attaining the necessary fitness levels that we have grown accustomed to seeing in his competition performances.”
But secretary of the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association, Garth Gayle, said his organisation had not been officially informed of Blake’s withdrawal from the meet. “We have no knowledge of him (Blake) not going. As far as we are concerned, yes, he is in the team,” Gayle said.
Blake qualified for the August meet by winning the event at the 2011 World Championships in Daegu, South Korea.
Last year, he ran the 100 metres in 9.69 seconds, equalling United States sprinter Tyson Gay as the second-fastest man in history behind Usain Bolt.
Blake’s withdrawal means Jamaica will now be represented in the 100 metres in Moscow by world-record holder Usain Bolt, who won the national title in 9.94 seconds, Kemar Bailey-Cole, second in 9.98, and Nickel Ashmeade, who finished third in 9.99.
The IAAF World Championships take place from August 10-18 in Moscow.