ECSTATIC: Fidel Edwards celebrates a wicket during a match between Guyana Amazon Warriors and The Trinidad & Tobago Red Steel as part of the week two of Caribbean Premier League 2014 at Providence Stadium last week Thursday, in Georgetown, Guyana. —Photo: Getty Images

Tools

No regrets

Skipper Bravo backing Pooran to bounce back

By \\\\\ Roger Seepersad

Red Steel skipper Dwayne Bravo is standing by his decision to allow Nicholas Pooran to take on Sunil Narine in the Super Over against the Guyana Amazon Warriors which resulted in their first and only loss so far in the second edition of the Limacol Caribbean Premier League Twenty20.

Bravo, speaking to the media yesterday also noted that 18-year-old Pooran wanted to bat in the Super Over.

“I would not do anything different,” said Bravo. 

“Obviously the result did not work out in our favour so you will hear the negative side in terms of why we chose young (Nicholas) Pooran. Obviously he was a bit low in confidence (after the final over) but the type of player Pooran is, he is very confident. He is the one who walked up and said ‘skip I want to do it’ so we gave him the opportunity,” the Red Steel captain added.

Pooran had dropped a catch in the final over of the Guyana chase and while Bravo admitted that the player might have been a bit low in confidence, he and the rest of the team backed the youngest player in the side to deliver.

“He will only learn from it. Obviously it was only one over and anything could have happened and he was facing the best bowler in the world in Sunil Narine so there was not much he could do, even myself might not have been able to get the 12 runs in six balls,” Bravo explained.

And despite not scoring any runs in the Super Over, the Red Steel skipper was still very happy with Pooran.

“It is a learning process and I am happy with him and I like his attitude and his belief in his ability and the team believes in him as well.

“We did very well to defend 118 so that in itself sends a message and if you look at the other two games, we won by big margins, so it shows we are on the right track and that the players are clicking at the right,” he added.

The Red Steel are now in Trinidad and Tobago for three home games at Queen’s Park Oval in Port of Spain and Bravo is excited ahead of those encounters.

He said the players are more relaxed this time around having been successful on the road.

“Last year we played our first three games on the road and we lost all three and coming home to play was a bit of pressure, so to win two on the road now, we obviously feel more comfortable coming home to our fans and based on reports, tickets are selling out so the fans are happy with the way the Red Steel team is playing so far and I am just looking forward to playing here and putting on a great performance for our fans home in Trinidad,” said Bravo.

Looking ahead at the matches, Bravo said: “We have two very tough games in Guyana and Jamaica up front on Thursday and Saturday followed by the Zouks on Sunday. It is an exciting weekend of cricket and I am happy with my team, happy with the performance and happy with the way the guys prepare so we are just looking forward to the challenge,” he added.

Asked if the controversy surrounding the name of the franchise had affected the team in any way, Bravo said: “There is no controversy in it. The team has moved on and we just looking to play each game as it comes and try to win each game.” obviously feel more comfortable coming home to our fans and based on reports, tickets are selling out so the fans are happy with the way the Red Steel team is playing so far and I am just looking forward to playing here and putting on a great performance for our fans home in Trinidad,” said Bravo.

Looking ahead, Bravo said: “We have two very tough games in Guyana and Jamaica up front on Thursday and Saturday followed by the Zouks on Sunday. It is an exciting weekend of cricket and I am happy with my team, happy with the performance and happy with the way the guys prepare so we are just looking forward to the challenge,” he added.

Asked if the controversy surrounding the name of the franchise had affected the team in any way, Bravo said: “There is no controversy in it. The team has moved on and we just looking to play each game as it comes and try to win each game.”

This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

Express Poll

Do you think Trinidad and Tobago is overreacting to the Ebola threat?

  • Yes
  • No

Weather

More Weather