The Trinidad and Tobago Red Force cricket team will be guaranteed a TT$3 million payout for their participation in this year’s Champions League Twenty20 (CLT20) in India.
This was revealed in a Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board (TTCB) press release yesterday, which praised the “new” leadership of the West Indies Players’ Association (WIPA), led by president Wavell Hinds, for the way they handled negotiations with the Board.
The $3 million payout will come from 50 per cent of the US$500,000 CLT20 participation fee, 75 per cent of the “guaranteed prize money” of US$200,000 for reaching the group stage, and 50 per cent of the team’s sponsorship contracts with NGC and the Ministry of Tourism.
The TTCB release also stated that should the team progress to the knockout round of the tournament, the players will receive more money.
Chief Executive Officer of the TTCB Suruj Ragoonath said that last year the two parties could not come to an agreement.
“This year we had both parties negotiating and understanding each other’s position,” he told the Express yesterday.
Ragoonath noted that WIPA had an understanding of the Board’s position and of what the Board could give the players.
“For the first time we had an amicable settlement with WIPA with both parties happy,” Ragoonath insisted.
He also noted that there were never any major issues with the team or threats by the players throughout negotiations.
The TTCB press release stated: “The TTCB takes this opportunity to thank the new leadership of WIPA led by Wavell Hinds for its balanced and responsible approach to matters relating to the Red Force’s participation in the 2013 Champions League.”
“Our Board is extremely heartened by the positive collaboration between WIPA, WICB (West Indies Cricket Board), the TTCB and the private sector and we are very optimistic that this new approach signals the beginning of a new era of success for West Indies cricket,” the release added.
T&T left for India on Monday and will play their first game in the tournament on Sunday.