It is time to pay up.
The 13 2006 Trinidad and Tobago World Cup players are set to enforce the payment of their court order for bonus payments owed to them by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association if the TTFA fails to pay up in 14 days.
In a media release yesterday, the players announced that they have instructed their legal team to execute a final 14-day demand for payment against the TTFA.
“On the expiration of the 14 days we have afforded, if there is no payment or tangible and honourable attempts to facilitate settlement of this debt, the winding up of The Trinidad and Tobago Football federation will commence immediately,” the release said.
The release continued: “This may come as a surprise to many when one considers that, in May last year, the TTFA announced that a settlement agreement was reached. While an agreement was in truth reached and we have received one tranche of the settlement, the second tranche which became due in September last was not paid in full. Over the past few months we have been desperately trying to get assurances from the TTFA if they intend to honour the said agreement and all we received were vague and intangible promises.”
Contacted yesterday, TTFA communications officer Shaun Fuentes said the TTFA had no official response at this time but would respond in the coming days.
The players believe the TTFA is in clear breach of the consent order authorised by the Trinidad and Tobago High Court and judge Devindra Rampersad.
“It is a blatant disregard to the courts considering the fact that the TTFA were the ones who agreed to the terms of the settlement agreement. This case dates back to 2006 and we are sure that most would agree that we have been ultra-patient,” said the release.
This latest document follows a January 27, 2014 letter from the head of the players’ delegation Brent Sancho to TTFA president Raymond Tim Kee in which Sancho first complained about the TTFA’s failure to adhere to the terms of the agreement.
“...With another World Cup mere weeks away, this situation remains unresolved. Without question this is surely one of the greatest injustices ever suffered by a sporting team in Caribbean sporting history. To put it simply, it is just not fair, “ yesterday’s release stated.
“We are sad and disappointed that having achieved this country’s greatest sporting moment, humiliatingly, we are forced to almost beg that we be paid the terms of our contract. This is distressing and our families have suffered immeasurably through this. The passionate football fans whose support enabled us to scale Everest have suffered through this. When will it end?,” the release asked rhetorically.
The release also stated that the players have received support from the CONCACAF president Jeffrey Webb who has indicated “that he will like nothing better than for this issue to be rectified sooner rather than later.”
The 13 players involved in the agreement are : David Atiba Charles, Cornell Glen, Cyd Gray, Shaka Hislop, Kelvin Jack, Avery John, Stern John, Kenwyne Jones, Collin Samuel, Brent Sancho, Aurtis Whitley, Evans Wise and Anthony Wolfe.