WICB supporting spinners Shillingford and Samuels
Shane Shillingford and Marlon Samuels will receive full support from the West Indies Cricket Board after their bowling actions were found illegal, head coach Ottis Gibson has said.
The International Cricket Council announced on Monday that Shillingford had been suspended from bowling in international matches.
The ICC also ruled that Samuels’s standard off-break delivery was legal, but his quicker delivery exceeded the prescribed levels of tolerance.
“Though I felt confident about the way the two players performed at the testing, the report did not come back in our favour,” said Gibson.
“Shane is obviously gutted, but Marlon’s role in the team, as I have said previously, is primarily as a batsman, so the impact on him is a little bit less.”
Shillingford and Samuels underwent biomechanical analysis in Perth last month before the start of the series against New Zealand after they were reported for suspect action.
While Samuels is allowed to continue to bowl his standard off-break delivery in international cricket, he is not permitted to bowl his quicker deliveries.
“We will formulate a suitable plan of action and work to rehabilitate their bowling actions in the New Year, so Shane can continue his international career in the shortest possible time and Marlon can continue to contribute with the ball when he’s required,” Gibson.
“They are both tough characters and have had their share of ups and downs in the game over the years. We have no doubt that they will emerge from this latest setback with the utmost confidence.”
The ICC decision has ruled Shillingford out of the imminent third Test against New Zealand, starting on Thursday at Seddon Park here, and he will return to the Caribbean as scheduled following the match.
Samuels will, however, feature in the deliberations for the Test and has also been chosen as part of the 15-member Windies squad for the subsequent five One-day Internationals that follow the Test series.