Tools

WICB to send cricket back to Guyana

WICB tentatively schedule Test, regional games for country

International and regional cricket could return to Guyana later this year after the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) said it was pleased with the progress being made and the movement towards the normalisation of the administrative situation in Guyana.

The West Indies Cricket Board directors, who met in St Lucia on January 18, discussed the situation in Guyana, with the board "tentatively" scheduling international cricket in the territory for the first time in over a year.

According to a WICB media release yesterday: "The board approved a recommendation to tentatively schedule one of the West Indies versus Pakistan Test matches and two rounds of the Super50 and regional four-day matches for the Guyana National Stadium, pending the normalisation of the situation in Guyana.

"The Test match is slated for July and the Super50 and four-day matches will be after the break in the season, which is scheduled for March 12-20," the release stated.

The move signals an improvement in Guyana cricket after a year of turmoil which began in December 2011 when the Guyana government dissolved the Guyana Cricket Board due to a dispute over its July 2011 elections and replaced it with an interim management committee.

Throughout the impasse, the WICB maintained its position that it recognises the Guyana Cricket Board as the sole governing body responsible for the administration, management and development of cricket in Guyana.

The release also stated the board has also approved the appointment of previous Guyana Cricket Board secretary Anand Sanasie and Anand Kalladeen as directors of the WICB.

Sanasie and Kalladeen were both nominated by the Guyana Cricket Board.

Sanasie was previously a director of the WICB before resigning in 2012 while this will be Kalladeen's first appointment as a director.

Other major decisions involved the West Indies home series against Pakistan and the decision to renew the contract of West Indies head coach Ottis Gibson and manager Richie Richardson.

The directors approved the changes to the Pakistan tour of the region, which will now just be two Test matches, with the limited-overs portion of the tour being deferred to a later date in the Future Tours Programme cycle.

In relation to the head coach position, the media release said the directors had approved the decision to offer Gibson a renewal of his contract as head coach of the West Indies team.

The release stated the board approved the recommendation to offer a renewal of the contracts of both Richardson and Gibson, pending completion of negotiations which are expected to be concluded shortly.

Gibson—who is reportedly also a candidate for the role of director of cricket at English county Warwickshire—and manager Richardson, will continue in their respective roles on the West Indies tour to Australia.

This content requires the latest Adobe Flash Player and a browser with JavaScript enabled. Click here for a free download of the latest Adobe Flash Player.

Express Poll

Do you think stronger procurement legislation can prevent corruption?

  • Yes
  • No

Newsletter Sign Up

Subscribe to our FREE Digital Divide Newsletter.
To subscribe enter your email address
For Email Marketing you can trust

Weather

More Weather