We all know what they say about finding the perfect man….he is like the monster under the bed in the dark... they say he exists but no one's ever seen him! Hmmm…Mr Perfect has an existence similar to that of the tooth fairy, Santa Claus and eternal youth… but nevertheless many women believe that he does indeed exist.
"I just haven't met him yet. Bad timing, that's all. But we will bump into each other soon!" assures Heather a 36-year-old teacher. "I will never settle for anything less than the perfect man."
"Why compromise for second best when you could get the real McCoy?" argues Janine, a clerical assistant. But can women really get the real McCoy?
"A handsome face like Brad Pitt, a body like Will Smith, a swagger like Bunji Garlin and a winning ability like Machel Montano... Add in a sense of humour, some money in the bank too... Let's see someone who loves me for me, who is sensitive, ambitious, spiritual and yea and it won't hurt if he has a ras like Kees Dieffenthaller!"- Rihanna was explicit about her Mr Right version 101.
Which makes me wonder- does Rihanna's perfect man or anyone else's really exist? Are women just chasing fallacies…supermen whose resumes look enticing on the big screen but once they fly into your lives they become Clark Kent?
"I have found the perfect man; he is my husband of 10 years. To me he is the perfect man. He satisfies my prerequisites of Mr Right. He is caring, hardworking, loving and has a great relationship with God. He isn't the best looking or the most buff but then again, those qualities weren't on my list so it doesn't matter," says Marie, a 41-year-old mother of two.
Anastasia is also a strong advocate of the existence of Mr Right. "It's unfair to paint a general picture of Mr Right. He is subjective, a matter of personal perspective."
"Some women's lists of must haves are quite simple and not impossible and they actually find Mr Right!" Cathy contends, "When you abandon the concept of a perfect man it gives men encouragement to not be only less of a perfect man but less than a man!"
Katelyn concludes the argument for the perfect man. "Realistically the perfect man doesn't exist but in life there will be that special someone who fits perfectly into your life and he wouldn't be someone below your standards of Mr Right."
In the red corner, most women still stand firm on the non-existence of Mr Right while some ladies don't even see the need for it. "We don't need a perfect man. We just need a special guy who can accept us the way we are and make us feel special", states Sarah, a university student.
Deandra challenges her friends to the question: "So if there is a perfect man? Can you tell why men can't find the perfect woman? Are you a perfect woman? Suppose your husband wanted a perfect woman would you step to the side if you didn't satisfy his prototype?"
"I am not a perfect woman so I don't want a perfect man," states Ria emphatically.
Furthermore, a survey of 2,000 women commissioned by Remington determined that only 25 per cent of women believe the perfect man exists and the remaining 75 per cent aim to find Mr. Right, Mr. Good Enough will do as women found their partners to be about 69 per cent perfect. Source:http://www.askmen.com/dating/dating_advice_600/633_the-perfect-man.html#ixzz1wGhQ18bW
Consequently, along this vein some female readers came up with more realistic titles to chase after. Here are some of popular ones worth sharing:
1. Mr Treat Me Right: He doesn't have to be perfect just treat her right
2. Mr Right until I get a better option or Mr Convenient: Someone to hold on to until a better option presents itself.
3. Mr Money talks so nothing else matters: Some women believe money and comfort are better than love.
4. Mr Close to Perfect or Mr Good Enough: he doesn't have to satisfy all but most of the prerequisites.
5. Mr Wrong with potential of getting Right with work: The quest to change the man is up ahead is part of the bargain.