Barack Obama has been re-elected as President of the United States after winning the elections this past Tuesday. His wife, Michelle, is the First Lady…for the second time. She is just as popular as her husband and is usually the topic of many conversations that may have started with her husband.
Michelle Obama is admired by many, so in a spirit of interest, so to speak, let review some 'fun facts' about the First Lady, or Miche (pronounced 'Meesh'), as she is fondly called within her circle.
1. She was born January 17, 1964 to a father who worked the swing shift in the boiler room at Chicago's water purification plant, and a stay-at-home mother who played that role until her children were adults.
2. She grew up with her older brother, Craig, and parents in a one-bedroom, one-bathroom apartment. She and Craig shared the living room, which had been separated by dividers.
3. Her husband calls her "My Rock".
4. Even though they were only allowed one hour of television per night, she committed each episode of The Brady Bunch to memory.
5. As a young girl, she practised playing the piano so much that she had to be told to stop.
6. She and her brother both skipped second grade.
7. Although she was a great athlete, she shied away from competitive sports because, according to her big brother, she hated to lose.
8. She was a young lawyer assigned to be Barack Obama's mentor when her future husband came to her Chicago firm for a summer job.
9. Her first impression of Barack wasn't great; she'd seen his photo in the law firm directory and thought he had a big nose.
10. She declined Barack's initial attempts to ask her out, saying that she thought it was "tacky" and she feared it would interfere with their work relationship.
11. Before seriously agreeing to date Barack, she asked her brother to take on her suitor on the basketball court (her father and brother had always said you could tell a lot about someone's character on the court).
12. Her father died of complications from multiple sclerosis when she was in her 20s.
13. Barack proposed at a fancy Chicago restaurant after two years of dating; the ring came on a tray with the dessert.
14. At their wedding, they danced their first dance to "Unforgettable".
15. She works out "like a gladiator," according to friends.
16. She hates panty hose - too "painful."
17. At the Democratic National Convention in 2004, moments before her husband was about to go on stage to give his speech she decided to break the tension: "Just don't screw it up, buddy!" she memorably said.
18. She unwinds by watching reruns of "The Dick Van Dyke Show".
19. About her husband, she once said, "Barack didn't pledge riches, only that life would be interesting. On that promise, he's delivered."
20. She's a morning person since it's hard to stay awake past 9.00 p.m.
21. When asked if it's boxers or briefs for her husband, she smiles coyly and replies, "None of the above."
22. Her favourite karaoke song is "any Stevie Wonder".
23. Her celebrity crushes are Denzel Washington, George Clooney, Will Smith…and more…
24. Her guilty pleasure is french fries.
25. If she had to have super powers, she would choose the ability to fly.